To deliver a consistent student experience, Udemy courses must meet minimum standards for approval. The Quality Review Team will help you get your course approved when you submit your course for review. We reserve the right to re-review courses if instructors violate these standards at any point.
What is valuable educational content?
Since Udemy is a marketplace for educational content, your course material should be designed with student learning in mind, not personal promotion.
Course material is the actual content of the course and includes:
- Section and lecture titles
- Videos and text lectures
- Quizzes, Practice Activities, and Assignments
The course material is meant to help students learn within a safe environment. It’s not meant to be used for instructors to market or sell to students in any way. If this happens, it results in students feeling distrustful because they’re being sold to when they want to learn. Learn how to create a great course.
Instructor – Detailed Guidelines
- The course material needs to meet our minimum standards and may only include information relevant to your course topic
- We strongly encourage you review our recommended standards, to deliver a positive student experience.
- You may include your website, social media profiles, or contact information as a small watermark on your video throughout the lecture or briefly at the beginning or end of a lecture. Learn more about the specifics here.
- You may NOT include links to paid content off Udemy. The only exception is when you’re providing access to a tool/product that’s part of the Course Requirements, which is stated in the Course Landing Page.
- You may NOT post or request personal information about students
- You may NOT include affiliate links
- You may NOT include coupon codes, links or promotional references to any Udemy courses
- When adding an external link to your course that requests students to pay or provide personal information, please use the following guidelines to decide where you can include the link
When it comes to deciding whether the link is relevant to the course or not, we’ll take context into account. This is where the spirit of the policy matters, so unless you can prove to our team that this material provides value to your students within the course, please don’t include it!
When an instructor is clearly going against the spirit of Udemy policies in an attempt to game the system or if we see a severe negative impact on the student experience (high unsubscribe rates or refund rates) it’ll be considered a violation of our policies.
Escalation Policy: Learn what happens when there is a violation of our policies.