Help students get to know you and they’ll fall in love. Kick off your course with a challenge or contest.
Sometimes students purchase your course and don’t start it. Wondering how to activate some of those less engaged students? Reel them in with a contest or challenge. Here are 3 simple steps to implement a contest in your course:
- Decide on the end goal: What’s the task you want students to accomplish with this announcement? This could be as large as building a polished iOS app, or it could be as small as completing the first 2 sections and posting in the discussion board with 1 question or comment on the material. Either way, make sure that you’re providing a call to action for your students that is clear and actionable.
- Decide on the prize or motivation: Will you reward your winners with a prize? Or will the completion of the task provide motivation enough? If you do offer a prize, consider making it specific to your course content. If you’re teaching a course on blogging, offer to link to the winner’s blog from your own site!
- Communicate contest to students: This is where those educational announcements prove particularly useful. Send an announcement to your students to kick off the contest. Check out this example:
Interested in further examples? The Udemy Instructor Team has run several challenges in the official How To course – check them out here.
Now it’s your turn! Follow the below steps to create a motivating challenge:
- Click into the Announcements section of your Course Dashboard.
- Compose an announcement:
- Clearly outline the call to action and the contest, and tell students exactly what you want them to do (“Watch Sections 1 and 2 and post one comment in our course discussion board about your social media marketing plan”).
- Make sure to end with a call to action link – either to the lecture you want students to watch, or to the course discussion board.
- Pro Tip: Using images will grab your students attention.