Direct Messaging is a tool students and instructors use to ask and answer any questions about course content. Instructors also use it to get dedicated feedback on the course. This is meant for 1:1 learning and feedback, not to promote or market to students. Learn how to use Direct Messaging.
Instructors – Detailed Guidelines
- DO answer questions politely and in a timely manner.
- DON’T send rude, aggressive, or threatening messages to your students.
- DON’T use Direct Messaging for mass-messaging students about promotions; the use of coupons, external links, marketing messages or references to the same are prohibited. We understand students can reach out with questions or requests, and it’s important for instructors to be responsive. When students reach out with specific questions, feel free to answer and direct them to appropriate resources. However, this is where we will take context into account.
- For example, if an instructor is encouraging students within the course to send them Direct Messages asking for coupons, then it’s considered a violation of our policies when an instructor provides the coupon code through Direct Messaging.
- On the other hand, if a student reaches out with a question about additional material, it’s not a violation if the instructor sends a link to their website where there may be additional information.
- DON’T ask for or post personal information about students.
Students – Detailed Guidelines
- DO ask instructors questions if you’d prefer not to participate in public course discussions.
- DON’T send rude, aggressive, or threatening messages to instructors.
- DON’T use Direct Messaging to spam or request free coupons or other material unrelated to the course.
When an instructor is clearly going against the spirit of Udemy policies in an attempt to game the system or if we see a severe negative impact on the student experience (high unsubscribe rates or refund rates) it’ll be considered a violation of our policies.
Escalation Policy: Learn what happens when there is a violation of our policies