Your promo should be one of your highest quality videos in terms of production. This means spending the time to perfect your recording setup. Your audio should be crisp and clear. Your video should be sharp and colorful. And if you’ll have any talking head segments, the background (and even your outfit) should offer the most possible positioning for your course.
Set Up Your Recording Space
Choosing a Space
If possible, it’s best to set up a dedicated space in your home to record your lectures. In this space, be sure to:
- Choose a space that’s removed from other people.
- Turn off any vents or fans in the room.
- Turn off any electronic devices, such as your television and phone (obviously your camera and mic should remain on).
- Soundproof the room as best you can. You can even try hanging blankets on the walls!
- Stage your space to best represent the tone and topic of the course. For example, if you’re creating a cooking course, you should be filming in the kitchen with ingredients/cookware strategically placed around you.
If you’re filming any talking head segments, you’ll want to consider the lighting. Lighting can have a huge impact on the feel or mood of the video. Check out this video for tips on how to create an amazing lighting kit on the cheap.
Here are a few steps you can take to make sure your audio track is as clear as possible:
- Make sure your microphone is plugged in correctly and your recording software recognizes your microphone.
- Speak clearly and directly into your microphone: This will help you avoid any muffled sound. Make sure the microphone is close to your mouth to ensure that all the audio is picked up!
- Watch this video to learn a silly (but super effective) trick for getting good audio for screencast videos.
Udemy’s Got Talent
We want to see your recording setup!
- Set up your recording space exactly as it will be when you start filming the video itself.
- Take a photo of yourself with your setup and share it in the Udemy Studio by March 17 using the hashtag #GotTalent. Be sure to wear exactly the outfit you’ll wear when filming.
- See whether the community thinks you’re ready to move onto the final task and film your promo!