We want to give you a bit more insight into Udemy’s pricing and discounts, so you can identify a good pricing strategy that works for you. As you might have noticed, courses on Udemy can sometimes be discounted. We differentiate between the full list price and the discounted price, and understanding both will be important for you to decide on your success strategy.
💰 Pricing your course on Udemy
What you need to know
- You can price your course between $20-$200 in tiers of $5 (for example, $20, $25, $30, and so on), or you can offer your course for free.
- If your default currency is not in dollars, learn more about our global price matrix here.
- While you can change the price of your course at any time, you can switch from Free to Paid only once.
- Courses offered for a fee on Udemy cannot be offered for free off of Udemy (e.g. YouTube, your own site, other sites).
Offering a paid course
Step 1: Become a Premium Instructor. If you would like to charge for your courses, the first step is to fill out our Premium Instructor application.
Step 2: Choose a price. Choosing a price for your course to prospective students is a critical part of being a Udemy instructor. If you want to offer a paid course, there are a couple of things you may want to think about:
- Course length and depth: longer courses, courses that focus on a niche or high-demand topic in the category, or courses that are targeted at intermediate-advanced students typically price their courses higher.
- Instructor experience level: instructors with credentials and many years of expertise, instructors who have proven themselves on the platform, or instructors who are thought-leaders in the space might price their courses higher.
- Other course features that add value: If a course offers additional value, e.g. project-based course, personalized feedback, closed captions, frequent course updates it can sell for a higher price.
- Course category: students might be willing to pay more for courses teaching career skills.
Unlike traditional classroom education, online courses can reach millions of people around the world and can be updated at anytime to bring students the most up to date information. Course prices are more related to DVDs or non-fiction books than to live trainings or coaching sessions.
Working with discounts
When trying to find the right course price, consider a strategy around discounts and the effect this can have on your sales and price perception. Offering your course at a discount is a great way to create a sense of urgency and get more students to purchase your course.
We believe in a sustainable partnership where instructors create amazing content and Udemy markets this content to its millions of students around the world. In this context we run course promotions, which have been extremely effective in getting instructors new enrollments for their course(s). To take advantage of this partnership, opt into Udemy promotions. Currently about 88% of instructors are opted in to Udemy promotions.